1 a vowel-like sound that serves as a consonant [syn: semivowel]
2 the act of moving smoothly along a surface while remaining in contact with it; "his slide didn't stop until the bottom of the hill"; "the children lined up for a coast down the snowy slope" [syn: slide, coast]
1 move smoothly and effortlessly
2 fly in or as if in a glider plane
3 cause to move or pass silently, smoothly, or imperceptibly
- To move softly, smoothly, or effortlessly.
- To fly unpowered, as of an aircraft.
- To cause to glide.
To fly unpowered, as of an aircraft
(fencing) An attack or preparatory movement
Glide can mean:
- Glide, a type of phone in phonology
- Bacterial gliding, a form of motility in biology.
- Glide is another word for semivowel in linguistics.
- Glide, Oregon
- Glide (sleight of hand), a sleight of hand magic move
- Glide is a musical synthesizer parameter, equivalent to portamento
- Glide is a Web operating system
- Glide API, a 3D graphics interface
- Glide is a song by the jam band Phish from their 1992 album A Picture of Nectar
- Glide language, a fictional language from the 2003 novel The Maze Game
- Crest Glide, an ePTFE dental floss (before its acquisition by Procter & Gamble was known simply as "Glide")
- Glide Memorial United Methodist Church, named for Lizzie Glide, a Methodist philanthropist who purchased the church site at the intersection of Ellis and Taylor Streets in San Francisco.
- Glide Foundation is a charitable foundation of the above church
- In phonetics, the term glide is synonymous with a semivowel.
glide in French: Glide
accented, acrobatics, advance, aerobatics, aeroplane, airlift, airplane, allophone, alveolar, apical, apico-alveolar, apico-dental, articulated, articulation, aspiration, assimilated, assimilation, avalanche, back, balloon, banking, barytone, be airborne, be effortless, be painless, bilabial, broad, cacuminal, central, cerebral, chandelle, check, checked, close, coast, coasting, consonant, consonantal, continuant, continue, crabbing, creep, cruise, dental, diphthong, dissimilated, dissimilation, dive, diving, dorsal, drift, elapse, endure, epenthetic vowel, expire, explosive, ferry, fishtailing, flat, flit, float, flow, flow on, flowing, fly, foot, front, ghost, give no trouble, gliding, glissade, glissando, glossal, glottal, glottalization, go by, go easily, go like clockwork, go on, gumshoe, guttural, hard, heavy, high, hop, hover, hydroplane, ice-skate, intonated, jet, labial, labialization, labiodental, labiovelar, landslide, landslip, lapse, laryngeal, last, lateral, lax, light, lingual, liquid, low, manner of articulation, mid, modification, monophthong, monophthongal, morphophoneme, mouse, mute, muted, narrow, nasal, nasalized, navigate, nose dive, occlusive, open, oxytone, palatal, palatalized, parasitic vowel, pass, pass by, peak, pharyngeal, pharyngealization, pharyngealized, phone, phoneme, phonemic, phonetic, phonic, pitch, pitched, plosive, plow the deep, posttonic, power dive, present no difficulties, press on, proceed, prothetic vowel, pull-up, pullout, pushdown, pussyfoot, retroflex, ride, ride the sea, roll, roll on, roller-skate, rolling, rounded, run, run its course, run on, run out, run smoothly, sail, sailing, sailplane, scud, seaplane, segmental phoneme, semivowel, shoot, sideslip, skate, skateboard, skating, ski, skid, skiing, skim, skulk, sled, sledding, sleigh, slick, slidder, slide, slide down, sliding, slink, slip, slippage, slipping, slither, slithering, snake, sneak, snowslide, snowslip, soar, soft, sonant, sonority, speech sound, spiral, stall, steal, stop, stopped, stream, stressed, strong, stunting, subsidence, surd, sweep, sweeping, syllabic, syllabic nucleus, syllabic peak, syllable, tactical maneuvers, take the air, take wing, tense, thick, throaty, toboggan, tobogganing, tonal, tonic, transition sound, triphthong, twangy, unaccented, unrounded, unstressed, velar, vocable, vocalic, vocoid, voice, voiced, voiced sound, voiceless, voiceless sound, voicing, volplane, vowel, vowellike, walk the waters, weak, wide, wing, work well, zoom